Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Update on Will and Drew

Just wanted to update you all on the status of us and our babies, Will and Drew. I'll try to be as brief as possible but that's really not possible since I'm talking about my twin boys here.

We had a regular routine doctor's visit with Doctor H yesterday afternoon. There were some concerns that Baby Will was not growing properly so as a precaution we were sent to meet with Dr. Hoeldtke in Jackson, TN this morning. There we had an extensive ultrasound with both boys and that was reassuring to see literally everything. Both boys are functioning well and showing no signs of or as we know of of abnormalities. The only problem is that Will (baby A) is showing growth signs and low fluid levels. His bladder and other internal organs are functioning properly but his fluid is very low around the baby. As far as Drew, his fluid levels are perfect. Will is measuring 1lb 3oz and Drew (baby B) is measuring 1lb 9oz. Drew is measuring according to the place I am in my pregnancy (24 weeks) but Will is measuring smaller than where I am in my pregnancy. It was very hard to get an accurate measurement of Will because he is sitting really low, literally on my pelvic bone and is showing very little signs of movements when they poked and proded at him. Instead of being on his back, he is humped over and dangling his little legs and arms. They are in separate sacs so there was no mention of twin twin transfusion syndrome, where one twin would feed of another and that twin would die in the sace and would and cause me to deliver the other baby very early. So that's the good news. The bad news is there is a slight chance I could or am at risk for preterm labor and that we could loose baby Will or he could die in the sac if he continues not to grow. But both heartbeats are very strong (Will @135 and Drew @145).
With all that being said, I have been placed on at home bedrest for at least 2 weeks (but could be until the remainder of this pregnancy). I go back to see Doctor H in Tupelo next week for another ultrasound to confirm heartbeats are still there and to check growth again. I also will go back to Dr. Hoeldtke on Jan 30th for another intensive ultrasound to check again and to get our next steps which will be extended bedrest or who knows what. So it will be alot of back and forth between here and Jackson, TN checking on our babies and also alot of visits with our doctor here in Tupelo.

I was given a steroid shot to boost the growth of the babies and their lungs to see if that would help and if there is that chance I would go into preterm labor this could help but they would probably stop me and hold off for as long as possible. I go back for another steroid shot tomorrow with my doctor in Tupelo.

Our ultimate goal for these babies is 30 weeks so that is 6 more weeks. As first time parents to be of multiples and literally scared to death about the possibilities this might cause our babies, we are desperately asking each one of you for your prayers. We literally believe prayer is a powerful thing and our God is bigger than anything we can imagine.

So please pray for baby Will as he continues to grow more and more each day but don't forget about baby Drew too. Please pray for me as I am on bedrest and that God will give us the comfort and peace knowing that this whole situation is in his control and care. Please pray that he will calm our fears and concerns as we are experiencing now. Please pray for the doctors as they continue to take care of me, Doug and most importantly the babies. We will have a few decisions to make probably further on down the road, so please pray that God's hand will most importantly be in those decisions and guide us through that process.

So with all that being said, please pray for us as we are literally scared to death!

A great friend in our Sunday School class sent this to me today and it was so reassuring: Remember Jesus said, “In this world you will have troubles, but fear not, I have overcome the world.”  Lay your worries at His feet; they are under His authority.

Our God is so great and our faith is so strong in him right now that we truly believe this whole situation is under his control and in his hands. Please continue to pray for us and the boys and we will update you once we know more.

1 comment:

  1. Kara, I'm praying for you, Doug, Will & Drew!! The Lord is your ever-present help in times of trouble! praying, praying!!

    ReplyDelete